Friday, September 3, 2010

Birth Story

On Tuesday, August 31, we had sonogram of you, Lilly Girl. The technician told us that you were 9 lbs, 7 ozs. When my doctor found out how big you were, she took me aside and told me of the complications that could arise from delivering such a large baby but that it was definitely doable. After many tears and a long discussion between Daddy & I, we decided to go ahead and have you delivered normally. If something were to happen, they could always do a c-section. They Re-set my induction date from the 6th of September to the 2nd of September, just two days away. That morning, I woke up early and spent the day with Mimi. We had lunch in Warwick, walked around town and bought cute stuff for ya. I called in at 3 as I was told to do to make sure there was a bed ready for us that night. They said to come in around 6 and that they would be ready for us.

I drove home from the lake house and hopped in the shower. It was the most anxious shower I have ever taken, knowing that I would shortly be meeting my angel. I got out of the shower, sat down at the dinner table and had a BLT. I did not want to eat but knew I would not be eating for quite some time. The drive to the hospital was nerve wracking and I was so scared. Knowing all the complications, I was worried that we had made the wrong decision in not scheduling a c-section.

Daddy parked the car and together, we walked to the maternity ward. They brought us right to our room and hooked me up to monitors. Right away, the nurse found your strong little heart beat. Unfortunately, and for an unknown reason, your heart rate was fast. This meant that they could not start the induction for a while. Meanwhile, my doctor never sent over my charts so they needed to do a whole new history workup and blood work. Through this, they found out that the wrong type of blood was down on my chart. Big mistake by my doctor in NC. My Doctor came in to check on your heart rate and discuss the induction. While she was in, she began discussing should distortion with me. She said that there was a good chance that you could have shoulder problems due to your size. Daddy and I did not know what to do. I really wanted to have you naturally but the thought that you could be injured during birth really killed me. We both cried and called our parents and asked for adivce. After lots of tears and talking to a few nurses, we opted to have a c-section. It was scheduled for six the following morning. We set an alarm for 5:15 am so that we could be up and prepared. Mimi and Pop and Mia and Papa planned on being around to say good luck around 5:30am. Daddy and I lay in bed and looked out the window. Our view was of the Mid-Hudson Valley Bridge. It had lights on it that changed colors. We were mesmerized as we both prayed for the following day.

Our alarm went off at 5:15am. When the nurse came in, she informed us that there was an emergency c-section occurring and we would be bumped to 8am. Around 5:45, the grandparents began to file in. They sat with us while we waitied to hear when i would be taken into surgery. When the nurse came in again around 7:45am, she said there was another emergency and we would be taken in around 9. The grandparents went down to go get breakfast and coffee, as Daddy and I sat and waited. Finally around 8:45, they came to take me to surgery. Daddy had to dress up in this white jumpsuit and they gave me a very funny hat. They took me into the room first, alone, and made Daddy wait in the hallway until they gave me medicine to not feel pain at 9:07. The room was really cold and I was very nervous. After getting a spinal block and being laid down, Daddy was allowed back into the room. I was completely numb but still felt tugging and lots of pressure. At times it was hard to breathe, but Daddy held my hand, spoke softly to me and kept me focused. At 9:36, I heard my angel cry for the first time. You had a serious set of lungs on you from the start!! Daddy was asked to go over and look at you, take pictures and hold you. He brought you over to my and I kiss your cheek and snuggled against you. It was absolute love at first sight!!! Daddy and I both cried. I could not hold you because my arms were strapped down. Daddy was able to hold you next to me for a while, then you were taken away to the nursery to get a bath. On your way there, you got to see your anxiously waiting grandparents who were in the waiting room.

I was closed up and sent to a recovery room at 10:23am. I slept there for a while and then Daddy came in. We sat and talked about how beautiful you were and how excited everyone was to see you. (Mimi cried). While in recovery, I anxiously awaited your return to me. When I got you back about forty minutes later, I could not have been more in love. Daddy and I snuggled in with you as we waited for our room to be ready. After 5 hours in recovery, we headed to our room. Daddy wheeled you in your little koozie, and I was pushed by a nurse. There, your four grandparents and Tia B were waiting to see you and I once again. There was a mini war over who was going to hold you first. It was so nice to see how loved you were already! We spent the rest of the day cuddling and our first night together was much easier than I ever thought it would be. It was the most fantastic day of my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment